Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

This has to be my favorite fall/winter meal. I thought I was so smart coming up with this-but apparently people do it all the time. Switch out the spaghetti noodles for some baked spaghetti squash-a meal full of vegetables!! Here's my favorite spaghetti sauce:

1 large onion, chopped
1-2 green pepper, chopped
2-4 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 15 oz cans tomatoes, undrained
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1-2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
Seasonings to taste: Parsley, basil, oregano, marjoram, pepper, salt, brown sugar

I usually cook my vegetables in the juice from the canned tomatoes. You can always saute' them in a T or two of oil. Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Add desired amount of water to reach the thickness that you want. Add the herbs (unless you're using fresh)-bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes or so. I like a sweet spaghetti sauce so I skip the salt and add a few T of brown sugar after it's simmered. You can always add some meat if you want, too.

No comments: