Saturday, February 7, 2009

Spinach Soup (Jinny)


Spinach Soup sounds gross, but I thought it was really good. This is a recipe from a cookbook I bought by Gillian McKeith. She has a show on BBC called 'You Are What You Eat.' I love the show, so here's a few of the recipes I've tried.

1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp olive oil
2 1/2 c fresh spinach
1 wheat-free vegetable stock cube (I found these at just your normal grocery store, but they were cheaper at our health food store, awesome substitute for chicken broth)
1 handful parsley stalks
fresh nutmeg, to taste (I used ground)
1 c soy milk
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds

Place the onion, olive oil and 1 T of water in a large pan. Cook over a low to moderate heat for 2-3 minutes until soft.
Add the spinach, 500 mL boiling water (which is a little over 2 cups), the stock cube and parsley stalks and cook for 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool slightly; then blend in a food processor or with a hand-held blender until smooth.
Return to pan, season with a little nutmeg, stir in soy milk and reheat gently.
Serve garnished with pumpkin seeds, and/or baby spinach leaves. I used parsley and avacado for garnish, also.